Saturday, June 16, 2012

The start of our Army life



Ok Where do I even start? Well I suppose the best place to start would be Aaron signing up for the Army. That was one of the biggest life changing events so far besides getting married and our wonderful children. Back on March 28, 2011 Aaron left for basic training at Fort Benning. It was our first BIG step and getting out on our own. Right before that and during his time at Ft. Benning we lived with my parents. We decided together as a family that the military life would be best for us. The 11 weeks he was gone at first seemed like forever. Over time I started to develop a routine that worked for me and helped the time pass. I always felt like a part of me was missing while he was away but the excitement I would get when I received a letter in the mail or a surprise phone call made everything better. I remember getting my first letter. I kept running out and checking the mailbox everyday and finally it arrived. In the letter he told me he just wanted to tell me he loved me and the kids and missed us. Which always brought tears to my eyes and still does (I'm a cry baby when it comes to my husband and kids). He told me about the exercising they were doing and how well that was going and he always for the most part ended with something funny because he knew I probably needed it (I did). In the first letter however I remember him telling me in the PS portion of the letter that they had a loud snorer there and he was glad he had ear plugs. I kept every letter from him which was about 18 envelopes and some had several letters all put together. I came up with a system of writing my own letters. I decided to keep a journal. Each day I would write down the important things, funny things and just whatever was on my mind. After a few days I would mail it off. I figured even though he was away he wasn't missing any part of our families life.

Link to Video of Conner opening letter from Daddy!


 The kids and I traveled to Columbus, GA to see my husband graduate. A couple of our long time family friends came along too (which it helped tremendously having them help me keep both kids corralled). I was so proud to see my husband graduate in the top 10% of his class and get promoted as well at the ceremony.
This was right before he was about to get pinned on family day.



He will probably shot me later but this was Aaron kinda teary eyed after seeing the kids and me. I saved the one with actual tears for myself. It still brings tears to my eyes.


I was so excited to see him but at the same time so sad that I had to tell him good bye again soon.





Yay! Daddy finally graduated from BCT. One of the proudest days of my life seeing him on that parade field.

After family day and the graduation ceremony Aaron was off to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX and the kids and I were on or way back to Saint Augustine, FL. He would be gone another 16 weeks for training as a medic.

No comments:

Post a Comment